This is the first screencast in the series of screencasts on Google Analytics Keyword Research in particular and Keyword Research using other tools and tricks in general. You need to read this pdf file available here before proceeding any further if you already have not read it: Google Analytics Digest for Keyword Research
Till now I have covered how to use Google Analytics in General and particularly as the Keyword Research Tool along with Google Adwords External Keyword Research Tool. There are Few things that we need to keep in mind before we proceed further with a Video Screencast about Registering a domain to receive data with Google Analytics. Before that we need to review the articles I have wrote about Analytics till now. They can provide a good start for the keyword research and utilizing free resources available from google to optimize your website or blog for few keywords. Three articles you should refer before proceeding any further this point are:
- Google Analytics and Keyword Research Introduction – Part One
- Indepth Keyword Research using Google Analytics – Part Two
- Google Analytics, Keyword Research and Showdown – Part Three
All these three articles are available as single downloadable PDF file for your offline and future references. PDF can be downloaded here: Google Analytics Digest for Keyword Research
Before we proceed with a screencast we need to clear few things about this in brief and need to review everything once.
- Most of the webmasters are using Google Analytics for collection of Statistics
- You can also do a bit of keyword research with the help of analytics
- One the right hand side it is located under Traffic Sources -> Keywords
- It can be viewed in various predefined formats or you can create your custom filters also to view and organize data and statistics within Google Analytics
- Can verify if for the keywords listed there you are on the first page of google or not. It can be done in two ways. Using a search engines (manually) or using Adwords keywords tool
- You can use and test the keywords and keywords suggestions provided by adwords along with proper anchor test and data available through Google Analytics
- Once you start using it you realize how easy and valuable it is for your small website or a blog
- You can start optimizing those keywords with proper “anchor text” to get listed on the first page of google for the keywords of your choice by doing bit of research and analysis
Few years back I was doing the keyword research for one of my website where I used to publish information and updates about the services offered by Indian Railways, my offerings included every kind of rich and text media that I collected, studied, modified and worked upon according to my own needs. But the most important of them all was the ‘keyword’ in my domain name and proper use of them in ‘text’ articles and information that was retrievable in text from by both ‘search engine’ spiders and humans.
I was blissfully unaware about Google Analytics at that time and was using some other free and paid services available for the tracking of my webpages and analyzing them. One such service was Statcounter‘s free account. Though there were few limitations like I can not keep log for more than 500 entries and once they are deleted can not use them for analysis on long term basis. Only numbers were available but no the actual data. There were few advantages though that it tracked my webpages live and was able to see the activity on my pages almost in real time (Google Analytics still doesn’t offer it). Though it was not very useful for the long term keyword research and knowing/understanding the keyword trends.
Still today Statcounter doesn’t offer more than 500 log entries for free accounts and Google Analytics doesn’t offer live traffic analysis of the webpages, but there are few things that make Google Analytics slightly more useful a service compared to Statcounter. It is a good idea to keep record of the keywords that send you some traffic 3 weeks ago, 3 moths ago as well as 3 years ago as it offers great insights into the trends. Google Analytics wins here and of course the service is free. You also may integrate it with your Google Adwords account if you want to use SEM services offered by google in future.
Now back to the case we were talking about on SEO and usefulness of long term analysis of the keyword trends that may help you sustain your search engine rank for long time. My domain was placed on the first page of the google for keywords like ‘indian railways’, ‘indiarail’, ‘indian railways ticket booking’, etc. At that time I didn’t even aware about the Search Engine Optimization and SEM and never knew that such thins exists that can help me boost my rankings in Search Engines. I also was unaware about my placement in the search results until I started using Google Adsense and earned a bit because of that Indian Railways website.
That was the first time when I realized the power of better search engine rankings and how it can be useful to professional bloggers and small webmasters. After that I started studying about Search Engine Optimization in particular and Search Engines in general to utilize its power for running professional websites. It is very important to understand how major search engines like Google and Yahoo works and operates in order to understand Search Engine Optimization and ranking better in search results.